Rhubarb and Feijoa Crumble
- 10 feijoas
- 6 pieces of rhubarb
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder
- 25g butter
- 1/2 the juice of a lemon
- 60g leftover cereal of your choice (I used one with oats and lots of crushed nuts and shredded coconut)
- Sugar Syrup: 1/2 cup coconut sugar, 1/2 cup boiling water, 3 whole star anise, Handful of fresh lemon balm shredded, Juice of one kaffir lime and one leaf, Residue from feijoas
- Turn your oven on to 180°C fan forced
- Wash and cut you rhubarb into 1 cm thick pieces set aside in a bowl.
- Scoop out your feijoas and cover in lemon juice to stop browning, set aside.
- Prepare your crumble mixture by adding all your dry ingredients to a bowl with your butter and combining with your hands. Note: Cut the butter into little squares to make this easy.
- Add your ingredients for the sugar syrup to a pot and turn into a low heat, once it's warm and starts to give off fragrance add your rhubarb and let poach in the liquid until it softens, but is not falling completely apart.
- Add the feijoas to the mixture and take the pot of the heat cover and let steam. Leave for 5 mins.
- Drain mixture thru a sieve so that pie isn't too wet, keep the liquid for plating later. Pick out the star anise and kafir lime leaf.
- Place your cooked fruit into your pie dish,before adding your crumble topping.
- Place into the oven for 15 mins and then let it rest so the topping can harden (another 15 mins).
- Serve with your syrup and some coconut yoghurt.