- 600g stewing steak
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 butternut squash cubed
- Sliced almonds
- 1 cup of homemade tomato and capsicum sauce (a can of tomatoes in thick sauce would do)
- 700 ml of vegetable stock
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 1 onion diced
- 1 small red chilli with the seeds
- Spice rub: 5 spice, All spice, Cinnamon, Black pepper, Salt, Garlic powder, Cayenne pepper, Paprika, Ginger powder
- Dice and coat meat with the spice rub and leave in the fridge for an hour. Pan fry in butter and add onions and chilli after a couple of minutes when the onions are slightly browned.
- Add your tomatoes and chickpeas and 3/4 of the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for an hour.
- Add your pumpkin and the rest of the stock and simmer until the pumpkin is soft. At this stage you want the tagine to be thick, so if it's too wet simmer with the lid off.
- Sprinkle with raisins, coriander, almonds and serve.
- Note, you can use a pan or a tagine dish - I got mine from Farros Albany.