What do I put into my body each day
I did an Insta-poll last week and you voted in favour of “what I eat in a day” so here we are. I actually stopped posting so much food because you guys seemed not to like it so much.
I eat instinctually, which means I try to listen to my body and give it what it needs, when I think it needs it. I’m no expert, I don’t have the most healthy way of eating but I feel, most of the time, it works for me.
I have been “fasting” or simply not eating when I wake up the past week just because I feel like it, then having a large meal between 1pm-4pm pictured above.
I do start each morning with the following;
- “Bragg’s Apple cider vinegar” - I buy a 750ml from Amazon.
- I take my “Renew +” collagen supplement from @orapure and until I ran out I was also taking my BePure prescribed supplements including BePure one, three and adrenal regulator. I’ve found a drop in energy and general zest since stopping.
- I TRY to drink about 1L of water if I’m not eating breakfast.
- I get coffee...I’ve been subbing for hot tea and fresh OJ the past days but coffee is coffee and I love it.
Breakfast options for me, if I do feel like eating are;
- Chia soaked overnight in water, with fresh fruits and soaked nuts. (Pictured below)
- ️A medley of fried vegetables (usually oyster mushrooms, pumpkin, onion, kimchi & chilli) on rocket salad with avocado and a lemon and olive oil dressing.
- ️1/2 a cup of Oats with 1/2 a cup of frozen berries, one scoop of luxe protein and 1/2 a tablespoon of honey with water or with 1 tbspn of peanut butter / tahini, 1/2 a banana and cinnamon.
- ️If I have hot oats I brown diced apple with cinnamon, then add oats and water, and finish with honey.
- A two egg omelette without milk with vegetables and some sort of greenery.
- Avocado on toast.
- Broccoli fried with two eggs cracked on top.
Around 40 mins after breakfast I start trying to get my daily water in - I try to drink 2.5L a day. I also try not to drink too much water close to my meals, as this causes me to bloat and feel full for ages.
For lunch I will have a salad with fruits, nuts, veges in some sort of variation, or one of my breakfast options.
Some lunch ideas are;
- Boiled beetroots cubed and cooked, with feta, oil and vinegar dressing, garlic powder and salt. Traditionally in Greece they include the leaves.
- Greek salad, tomato, cucumber, olives, red onion, feta and oil.
- Avocado on toast usually 2 pieces on brown bread or rye. (Pictured below)
- Buddha bowl with marinated chickpeas, rocket/cabbage, roasted sweet potato, avocado, sunflower seeds, sauerkraut.
For dinner I will have a piece of protein usually fish or chicken thighs, like;
- Salmon topped with pesto with a side of steamed broccoli and pumpkin or kumara.
- Chicken thighs cooked in the oven or in lemon and mustard with a side salad and some black rice or quinoa.
At night depending on how snacky I feel I will eat something like popcorn or frozen berries or I’m craving my go to ice cream is Ben and Jerry’s cookie dough.
If I’m being “good” snacky I’ll eat some chia with coconut cream.
My favorite morning snack is kolouri, a round wheel of bread with sesame on top.
I usually snack 2-3 nights a week at most. Some weeks I won’t and some I’ll go ham, especially if it’s that time of the month. Just being honest.
Usually at the end of eat day I haven’t fully met my water quota for the day (sometimes I get busy and completely forget) but most days I do about 2L.
I add fresh squeezed grapefruit to my water as I hate the plain taste of water alone.
It’s winter in Greece at the moment so I’m drinking a lot of tea. My favorites are locally grown chamomile, Greek mountain tea, turmeric tea I make with fresh ground turmeric coconut oil and a little pepper, and fresh grated ginger tea with honey and lemon.
General rule of thumb for me is; 2 handfuls of greens, 3 fingers of good fats (1/4 of an avo), 4 fingers of carbs (depends on your goals) and a palm of protein. Obviously not all my meals are like that but if they have carb protein and fat I try to go by that guide. I got this information from the @Bepure meal plan I did.
My idea around food now is you should eat when your hungry. Hunger is often mistaken for thirst so I always drink water before I commit to a meal.
I have some of my favourite pantry items listed below;
- Protein; black beans, chickpeas,frozen salmon, chicken thighs.
- Sauces; Pesto, Mustard, canned adobo chilies mixed with yoghurt.
- Fruit / Vege; broccoli, rocket, peas, cabbage, avocado, Lemons/grapefruit, pomegranate.
- Good fats; coconut cream/oil/milk, avocado, nuts and seeds; sunflower seeds.
- Carbs; pumpkin, sweet potato, Quinoa, black rice, lentil pasta, barley.
- Extras;sauerkraut, sundried tomatoes, olives, honey.
I try to shop at local markets, and stores for the best quality and deals on produce.
I try not to buy products that are overly processed or from companies who don’t give a fuck about the planet. Ie; Coca-Cola, Nestle, Krafts, Heinz, Campbell’s etc. This does not however mean that I get preachy or give my friends who do, shit about doing so. Each to their own. I only have the power to control my life and my decisions. My boyfriend loves a cola after dinner (many Greeks think it aids digestion).
I also have a blog article titled “starting your healthy eating lifestyle”. I believe it shouldn’t be a diet but a change in the way your living (if you think your living an unhealthy life and you want to change).
I hope this was helpful please comment on things you’d like to know that I can add to this post.