This recipe using leftover shrimp came from me not wanting to waste the deliciousness i knew was trapped inside the heads. i wanted to keep it low carb by using quinoa and It turned out to be the most amazing creamy risotto like dish ever.
Shrimp head quinoa
- 250g shrimp heads
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 1 sprig of spring onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 1L water or vegetable stock
- Place a medium sized pot on a medium heat and add the garlic and onion, brown slightly before adding your shrimp heads, salt and a little oil.
- Brown the shrimp heads until they turn pink before adding you water, or vegetable stock, turn up the heat and bring to the boil before turning down the heat and letting the stock to simmer, you want to reduce it by half.
- Once this is done you have your liquid to cook your quinoa in.
- In a frying pan toast the quinoa and then add a little of the seafood stock; enough to cover the quinoa and cook down until the liquid is nearly gone, repeat until the quinoa is cooked or until you see the little white tails emerge from the grain.
- Serve hot with fresh spring onion and a few heads for decoration.
If you get low on stock add more water to the shrimp heads and continue to boil I managed to get two lots of stock from my 250g of shrimp heads.