Finding a way to effectively start a new style of eating or just trying to refresh your current routine and see where you might be off the path a little can be hard, i have found these tips to really help me when i need to refocus.
- Buy a food diary; write everything you eat in it…EVERYTHING!!! Do this for a week and then review times and things you eat.
- Once you can see everything you eat it’s easy to pick out the bad or overindulgent and improve for next week.
- Before changing your diet have a minimum of one day to reset your body either by doing a juice cleanse or just eating vegetables for the day or water fasting. I find this helps for me.
- You could alternatively do a multiple day juice cleanse.
- After that, remove all processed food and drink from your diet. You can do this in stages. First sugar, then processed foods etc.
- eliminate anything in a packet!
- Go back to whole-foods; this is food in their natural state. Substitute breakfast cereal for eggs or oats with fresh fruit.
- Anything white (no bread, pasta potatoes or white rice). Substitute for whole wheat bread or fresh bakery bread instead of supermarket stuff and limit it to once or twice a week.
- No fizzy drink or store bought juices. Substitute for flavored water with fresh fruit and herbs
4. Make sure you’re eating breakfast lunch and dinner with something light to snack on mid morning and arvo.
- My favorite snacks are celery with some natural nut butter, carrot and cucumber sticks marinated in vinegar pink salt and chilli flakes or a dash of soy, avocado on rice crackers or rye.
- And try to eat appropriate portions and not to eat too late at night.
- “Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper”
5. Make sure to up your water intake – try and have at least 2l per day max 3l
- Start each day with a glass of lemon water with a teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar inside.
- After this I skull my first 1l of water, increasing my water intake helps me with my portion sizing so I usually skull one litre of water 30 or so minutes before meals.
- Make sure to eat plenty of vegetables and good fats like avocado, coconut oil, nuts and seeds.
- On days you exercise eat some good carbs in a small portion like kumara, or pumpkin.
You can start exercising at any point when you feel ready, light walking is a nice way to start….and try the one day on one day off method so every second day is a rest day. When you get more confident google the type of workouts you’d like to do on youtube eg:”lower body workout”.
i hope these small simple steps are of some help, these are base lines things i use in my life and they have really helped me.